Does a PLT Diploma entitle me to credit towards an LLM?

If you have not relied on your Diploma to satisfy the entry requirements for the LLM, you can apply for up to 4 units (2 courses) of credit provided you undertook the PLT training in the past 7 years.

Can I get credit towards a UQ postgraduate program for postgraduate law study I’ve completed elsewhere?

Yes, although we must confirm that you have discontinued study at the other university. The maximum credit for each program is listed in the program rules.

How long do I have to complete my postgraduate program; I’m working full-time?

You have up to 7 years to complete the UQ LLM #16 or #24 and the MICLaw, so you can skip a semester or two, or reduce your study load if you expect work/personal commitments to be particularly demanding for a period of time.

Should I study for a Master of Laws or a Master of International Commercial Law?

If you already have a law degree we would recommend you study for a Master of Laws (LLM). The LLM takes you beyond the basics of your first law degree, enabling you to undertake more in-depth study of specialist areas of law that you may wish to pursue in your career. Holders of non-law degrees cannot study for an LLM but can apply for the Master of International Commercial Law if they satisfy the program entry requirements, which includes having relevant work experience.

Can I attend a postgraduate law class without doing any assessment?

Yes, you can enrol on a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) basis; however, you won’t be able to use this study for credit towards a degree program later on.

Can I earn Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points for undertaking a postgraduate law program or attending a single course?

Yes, although the rules and the number of points awarded may differ between professional organisations.

I don’t have a law degree but some knowledge of the law would be useful in my job – what options are open to me?

The Master of International Commercial Law is available to non-law graduates who meet the work experience requirements. The program is likely to appeal to those working in banking and financial institutions and commercial enterprises.

I would like to study some law now that I’ve finished my non-law undergraduate degree; what postgraduate programs are available to me?

If you have not had any experience or exposure to law or legal issues in the workplace then a postgraduate law program is not suitable for you at this stage.

I’ve decided I want to be a lawyer. As I already hold another degree, which law program should I apply for?

At UQ, a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree is the only pathway to practise law. You may be eligible to enrol in UQ’s LLB (#48) program which is an undergraduate law degree undertaken by postgraduate students.

I need a bridging course to convert my overseas qualifications for admission to the legal profession in Queensland; what are my options?

Your first step is to contact the Queensland Law Society for information about the eligibility to practise law in Queensland. Once you have applied for an assessment from the Legal Practitioners Admissions Board and have their response, you may apply to study at UQ to complete the academic requirements for admission.

Do you offer distance or online study options?

Specialist law courses are not delivered in this way at either undergraduate or postgraduate level. Many of our postgraduate courses are delivered in an intensive four-day format, usually from Thursday to Sunday.

Who can I contact for more information?

Click here for Law School and UQ contact information.