Selden Society 2016 Lecture Series
In the 2016 Lecture Series, we will be seeking to pursue six new themes. Each of these themes was chosen for their appeal to contemporary Australian audiences and their suitability as a framework for future lecture programs.
In 2016, our six new themes, with their topics and speakers will be:
- Justices of the High Court of Australia — Sir Harry Gibbs CJ (David Jackson AM QC)
- Notable Trials — The Dobell Case: Attorney-General v Trustees of the Art Gallery of NSW (1944) 62 WN (NSW) 212 (Thomas Bradley QC)
- Legal Writers — Sir William Blackstone (Emeritus Professor Wilfrid Prest)
- Leading Cases of the Common Law — Mabo v State of Queensland (No 2) (1992) 175 CLR 1 (The Hon Margaret White AO)
- Justices of the US Supreme Court — Justice Sandra Day O’Connor (The Hon Justice Margaret McMurdo AC)
- Legal History of Queensland — Supreme Court Fire of 1968 (The Hon Richard Chesterman AO)
In 2016, the Supreme Court Library is also honoured to welcome the Deputy Chief Justice, Republic of South Africa, the Hon Dikgang Moseneke, to present this year’s Supreme Court Oration.
In presenting these lectures, we are very grateful again this year for the generous participation of very fine speakers—and for the ongoing support of the Supreme Court of Queensland.
John McKenna QC
Chair, SCLQ History and Publications Committee
If you have any enquiries about the lecture series, please contact us or 07 3006 5130.