Sir Harry Gibbs Moot Court
The Sir Harry Gibbs Moot Court is comprised of furniture taken from the former Queensland Supreme Court building that was constructed in 1879 and severely damaged by fire in 1968. The Queensland Government subsequently demolished it and rebuilt a new Supreme Court on the site using new furnishings.
The Queensland Government donated the cedar court furniture now in the Moot Court to the Law School in September 1972 after being approached by Dr John Forbes. The red cedar panelling, the cedar furniture benches for the judges, the table, the dock (now a witness stand) and the jury and press boxes had been used by judges, barristers and others of the Supreme Court, and also the High Court when it visited Brisbane, for some ninety years prior to installation in the Law School.
Many historic cases were argued and decided in the court room. They include McCawley v The King  St R Qd 62; R v Plomp  St R Qd 161 and Commissioner of Stamp Duties (Qld) v Livingston  Qd R 118.
The moot court was installed in the law library in 1973. In 2011, as part of the $1.06 million refurbishment of the law library, the moot court was also modernized, with the installation of new viewing windows, improved seating and advanced audio-visual technology, increasing audience capacity in the courtroom and enabling the live broadcast of moot court proceedings to screens in the centre's six study pods.
The Moot Court was named after the Right Honourable Sir Harry Gibbs GCMG, AC, KBE who was a graduate of the Law School (LLB 1939; LLM 1946).